Komatipoort is a town situated at the confluence of the Crocodile and Komati Rivers in Mpumalanga province, South Africa. The town is eight km from the Crocodile Bridge Gate into the Kruger Park. It’s just 5 km from the Mozambique border and 65 km from the Eswatini border. It’s a small, quiet town within the Lowveld with some attractive tree lined streets. It is without doubt one of the hottest towns in South Africa, but also with an ideal winter climate. Komati’ takes its name from the Komati River whose authentic native Swazi title is Nkomazi, translated as “river of cows”.
It’s where the Crocodile and Komati Rivers meet to flow through the Lebombo Mountains into Mozambique. In the 1890s Komatipoort of those days was a wild and uproarious construction camp. Namely, construction of the railway from Lourenco Marques (modern name Maputo). Conditions weren’t the very best as the area was gripped by a malaria epidemic; in the zone known as ‘fever country’.
The town of Komatipoort
The town of Komatipoort was the last stop within the South African Republic (ZAR) Pretoria – Delagoa Bay Line. The line was constructed by the Netherlands-South African Railway Company. Subsequently, the first train crossing the border at Komatipoort to the Portuguese East Africa was on 1 July 1891. Which was after the completion of the rail bridge over the Komati River. Close to Komatipoort is the site where the former Mozambique’s President Samora Machel died in an aircraft crash. This occurred at Mbuzini village within the Lebombo mountains, the natural barrier between South Africa and Mozambique. At the site of the accident stands the Samora Machel Monument which was declared a National Heritage site in 2006.